Kilmarnock 1-1 Celtic: Chris Burke penalty sees Celtic drop points in second Scottish Premiership game

10 Aug

Chris Burke's penalty gave Kilmarnock a deserved 1-1 draw with Celtic, as the champions dropped points in only the second game of the season.

Neil Lennon's team got off to the perfect start at Rugby Park, taking an 11th-minute lead when stand-in Kilmarnock goalkeeper Danny Rogers was beaten cheaply by Ryan Christie's long-range free-kick.

But with Christopher Jullien struggling to deal with Kilmarnock's physical forward play all afternoon, he hauled down Nicke Kabamba in the Celtic box allowing Burke to step up from 12 yards and level up from the spot (24).

After last weekend's thumping win over Hamilton, while Kilmarnock were getting beaten at Hibernian, it would have been no surprise if Celtic flew out of the blocks at Rugby Park - but against a well-drilled and physical Killie side, they found life tough.

It had been the hosts making the early ground, as Kabamba caught out Jullien and broke with less than two minutes on the clock before Kristoffer Ajer bailed out his defensive partner.

But with their first sight of goal, Celtic showed their clinical touch. Back-up goalkeeper Rogers should have done better with Christie's 35-yard free-kick, which he was late to dive for and could only watch it sail past him.

There was little surprise when a penalty followed, and even less so when Burke beat Celtic debutant Vasilis Barkas with an excellently taken spot-kick.

Celtic continued to give Killie right-back Ross Millen too much space to send in fine deliveries from the flank, with Kabamba nodding two crosses over Barkas' bar, while Odsonne Edouard fired a free-kick just wide of Rogers' post from 20 yards.

After the break, the champions showed signs of increasing their intensity and tempo, but it did not last. After Edouard fired over from outside the box, they did not come close to testing Rogers again until Callum McGregor's long-range effort whistled over the bar nearly 20 minutes later.

Kilmarnock showed glimpses of danger on the counter-attack without ever providing Barkas any major worries on his Celtic bow, but held on resolutely for a first point of the season, and leave Celtic frustrated and already off the early pace-setters.

Kilmarnock manager Alex Dyer: "We had to put in a disciplined performance, and after going a goal down, we lost it after they scored for a few minutes, but then we were back in the game with the penalty and saw the game out quite comfortably.

"These boys have been here before, they know what it's about, they showed good discipline, and I know the players I've got in there, the way they work, that we could get over that initial 10 minutes after the goal and after that we were fine.

"We said at half-time, stay in the game, that was our motto for the last few seasons, it gives ourselves a chance."

Celtic boss Neil Lennon: "We're disappointed not to win the game. We had enough of the ball, we've given away a poor goal, but we've dominated the second half, and just lacked a bit of penetration. โป๊กเกอร์ 3 ใบ

contact us Line ID: @ufa98v2

* The email will not be published on the website.